Saturday 20 December 2008

Delete the font

Originally, I could read every website that was thrown at me.

Then, ClearType arrived, and I had the option of "improving" the readability on my LCD screen. I tried ClearType and decided I prefered my text without ClearType, so turned it off. Things were still fine.

But then, sites started using fonts that seemed to rely on ClearType to be clear enough to read. The fonts I struggled with were mainly Calibri, Segoe and Vera.

(I won't bother posting screenshots, because you won't be able to see them as they appear on my monitor.)

I tried to find ways to disable certain fonts on websites, replace font X for Y, make a global stylesheet change, but in the end, I found the way to make readable the sites that use those fonts, was simply to delete the fonts that I struggled to read. :)

No comments: